Friday, August 27, 2010

Five Year Anniversary of Huricane Katrina

Today is the five year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina pounding the coast of the Southern United States. I was watching the Today show this morning, where they ran a story showing footage from the disaster. The videos of people huddled together in the SuperDome, paddling through the flooded streets, and trying to get supplies from the tops of roofs, brought back the memories like it was yesterday. Although I was only ten years old, this experience made a life-changing impact on me. Seeing the intense struggle was so different than anything I had ever been exposed to before. It opened up my eyes to how big the world really is, and how many things could be going wrong. I remember questioning why relief took so long to get to these people in the gulf, and now I am still questioning why the region is still in such distress.

Although there are still problems in the city of New Orleans, and all throughout the Gulf Coast because of this hurricane, I feel like most people are optimistic about the reconstruction. With help from the mayor and celebrities, like football superstar, Drew Brees, the city is slowly but surely making its way back to how it used to be. I think the key to the reconstruction of the city is to remember that even today, five years later, people are still feeling the horrible affects of the Hurricane and that with a little help from everyone, the Gulf can be rebuilt.

2 comments:

RHS Flash said...

Boggles my mind to realize you were 10 when this happened. Tells us how quickly history happens.

Christian Young said...

Wow...I did not realize it has been so long.