Tuesday, August 10, 2010

So I've Been Thinking...

ALOT. I don't know why but thoughts about problems in the world and what's important in life keep running through my mind. Lets face it, its great that I am thinking about this stuff considering that I could actually do something about it but I'm sixteen and this just isn't right. Anyways, I just thought I would share some of what has been going through my head.

This world is becoming too complicated. I sometimes just wish we could just go back to the days when everyone was farmers. (This idea is all thanks to Grapes of Wrath) People didn't have to depend on large corporations that only care about making money to get things. We would just grow the food ourselves. People just lived in and with nature. There wasn't any towering skyscrapers or huge factories or busy highways or pollution. We think these things make our lives easier but do they?

Then, I'll wake up from this trance of deep thinking that I am in and go watch T.V or go on the computer. And then I get to thinking again. Our world is so obsessed with material things. But how do we stop being obsessed with material goods when its all we know, especially for our generation. We've grown up with this mind set that it will bring us happiness. But does it? We hear the stories of how billionaires aren't actually happy even though they can buy anything they want. Also, there is the old saying "money can't buy you happiness". I think everyone can admit that there is no greater joy than doing what you love or being around those you love.

Well, thats just a little snapshot inside the mind of Elisabeth Hartman. Basically, I have been doing WAY too much thinking for summer.

2 comments:

Amanda C. said...

I like the way you think and the insightful thoughts you have. I truly admire how you are able to step back and look at things so sincerely and humanely.

I think the old expression should say "money can't buy you LONG TERM" happiness. There's another saying that says "the best things in life aren't things."

natalie said...

ya i've been thinking way too much too. I think it has to do with the fact that we have too much time on our hands, but it's not a bad thing when you start being insightful.

We are all materialistic. Some more than others... and the fact that you realize this will make it easier for you to keep yourself grounded. But don't worry because I think you are a great person!:D