Monday, August 16, 2010

Summer Hobby

Alas it has been an amazing ten weeks, but summer will soon come to a close. Before it's over, I would like to share about a recurring summer activity in my household. Home renovation! We seem to change something in our house almost every summer.

When we first moved in, our backyard was all grass and mostly taken up by a hill connected to our neighbors behind us. That summer, we replaced part of the grass with cement, took out part of the hill, and built a wall on it to keep the dirt from eroding. We now have a little garden there where we grow a variety of flowers and fruits. A few years back, all of our floors were carpet. That just wasn't working out because they were hard to clean and caused a lot of allergies. So now we have tile throughout all of the house except the bedrooms. Last summer we had a lot of family members visiting including my uncles, from France and Dubai, and my grandparents, from Algeria. Before they came we did some renovating. We painted the entire house (going from white to a more daring soft white) and put new carpet in all of the bedrooms. This year we focused on the kitchen and bathrooms. We stained all of the kitchen cabinets and painted part of island. Next to the kitchen we replaced an out of place window with dry wall. In our bathroom we replaced the old counter top with granite, got a new mirror, shelves, and painted the entire room a pale green. It took some getting used to but I really like all of the changes now.

My mom and I are inspired to renovate by design shows we used to watch on HGTV. Our house has changed so gradually but so much since we moved in ten years ago. I would like to go back in time and look at how it was when we were just considering buying it. I hope everyone had a great summer and I will see all of you at school!

No comments: