Sunday, August 1, 2010

España!!

A bit late on this blog haha, but i think its worth mentioning that i was in Barcelona when Spain won their first world cup. It was such an amazing experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. You could feel the energy and excitment pulsing through the air on game days as people walked around sporting the jerseys of their favorite players and spanish flags on their backs. I got swept up into their national pride and cheered for the Spanish team louder than most of the locals; it was really fun! I found it interesting that these Catalan people, who for centuries have felt a seperate identity to the rest of Spain with their own distinct history and language, were rooting for the Spanish team. It seemed like soccer, for them, was a unifying thing that allowed even Catalan people to be proud to be Spanish. In fact, one popular cheer during the games was "Yo soy Español Español Español" which translates to I am Spanish Spanish Spanish.

I really want to write something about the experience, because it was really special to me. Any ideas about how I should go about it?

4 comments:

Amanda C. said...

You could easily write a column about it for the web/write something about it for Sellers :)

Holly said...

I am insanely jealous.
I just went to stupid Maryland...

Keely said...

That sounds awesome! I was in Ireland for the world cup and I think it's amazing how it brings people togethor. There were a bunch of Spanish exchange students where I was in Dublin and their celebrations were loud. I can't imagine being in Spain when the whole country is celebrating. :)

Alexandra said...

Wow Keely thats so neat u were in Ireland! I'd love to visit there some day. and hol dont be bummed u love those relatives! and at least u got to travel :) and amanda thats a good idea thanks!