Monday, April 30, 2012

A Walk to Remember

(This post actually happened a few weeks ago.)

Today my mom and I thought we would quickly take Panther out for a walk. The rain has kept us from taking him lately. So I changed into some comfy clothes, put on my running shoes, and waited on my porch for my mother come out.
The weather outside was very pretty and it seemed like the rain clouds seemed to be clearing up. I felt confident, despite the rain warning yahoo weather claimed, that we would not get rained on.
My mom was on the phone with my dad and they talked for at least 15 minutes. When she hung up the phone the weather still seemed fair.
We began walking around my neighborhood. There was a mini park about 15 minutes away from where I live and decided to let Panther play and run around to stretch his legs. On our way there we met a little boy who was playing in his front yard with the most adorable black lab puppy. We stopped to let the puppy and Panther get to know each other.
A couple years ago, Panther was very interested in getting to know other people and other dogs, but ever since he turned three he's been acting very mature in public. So, we watched the puppy prance around trying to get Panther to chase him. It was the most adorable sight! Sadly we had to get on with our walk and reluctantly had to leave the puppy.
The park was very close to where we left the puppy. Only a few minutes had passed before, to our surprise, we saw the same puppy trotting into the park. It had obviously followed Panther's scent. He was such a rambunctious and inquisitive little squirt. My mom and I decided to just stay in the park instead of going on a circuit route that would have taken at the very least 30 minutes to complete.
Call it fate, good luck, or sheer coincidence that we got out of falling prey to a Friday the 13th misfortune because of that adorable puppy. It began sprinkling as my mom and I sat at the swings. Grey clouds overhead signaled that we should start getting home soon.
We helped the little boy get the hyper puppy back home. A few seconds later, it began to rain even harder. And only a minute later it began to hail! I love the rain but I can't stand when my sweatshirt gets wet, so I began jogging back home. The irritating little pieces of ice don't look like much, but at that moment, wearing running shorts didn't seem like the best decision I made that day.
The painfully sharp hail was irritating for me but I never imagined the effect it would have on Panther. He decided to stop running halfway back home and locked his legs, refusing to budge an inch. This caused me to be jerked to a sudden and slightly painful stop. It took my mother's very convincing coaxing to get Panther to walk the last few minutes back home. Our sweatshirts were drenched and our shoes were soaked to the socks.
It was good fortune that my mom and I did not get stuck out in the rain if we had not met the sweet little puppy.

(Just a side note: I had to try very hard to not inject movie titles throughout this post in order to follow with the theme created by the title of this post seeing that half the titles were either from Hindi movies or from really dated movies from the 40's and 50's.)

1 comment:

RHS Flash said...

This beautifully written and thought out. Very enjoyable... what a blog can be.