Monday, April 30, 2012

Reminiscing the past

This past weekend I was slowly trying to organize old photos and albums. The process that should have only taken one or maybe two hours at the most was taking me a whole lot more time.
I happened to come across class pictures from when I was in Ms. McDonna's kindergarten class, Ms. Robinson's first grade class, and Ms. Harrison's second grade class back when I went to Seaside Elementary and from when I was in Mrs. William's third grade class at Rose Avenue.
I found myself stopping my organizing efforts (yet again) to reminisce the past. It was entertaining looking at how young everyone looked in those pictures. There was the one girl who was my close friend for two years. And there was the girl who got me my first (and only) red card in second grade. There was the boy who had been in my class for all the three years I had been at Seaside. There was the girl who I used to play soccer with. There was the girl who taught me how to do the coffee grinder dance move. There were the girls I used to spend time with on the playground. It was fun thinking about times when my biggest problems were getting a turn on the swings at lunch time or writing the best journal story.
All this past-recalling brought up so many questions. Since I had left Seaside very abruptly during the summer after second grade, I wondered if anyone missed me. I'd like to believe that I knew many people but I really wonder if kids from my classes would still remember who I was. The same applied to the friends I made at Rose Avenue. At that moment I also wondered what everyone had grown up to be like.
Now I didn't mean to be stalker-ish but I went on Facebook and typed in a few of my elementary school friend's names. To my surprise, I found a couple of my friends and a few acquaintances. They didn't seem to have changed very much in that I could recognize them by their faces but their personalities seemed to have changed. My closest friends from elementary school seemed like I would still have known them if I hadn't moved. Another kid that I remember being seriously lost in his own world with Starwars Sith Lords and Pokemon Pikachu battles turned out to have a profile picture that had "teen angst" and "I think I'm so cool" written all over it. It made me laugh how unpredictable people turn out to be as they get a better gauge of the world around them.
I didn't extend any friendship invitations though, it was weird enough trying to see the kids from my past. But it was an interesting nonetheless to see the people that I could have grown up around.

1 comment:

RHS Flash said...

What a cool post and sharing. I hope you connect with at least one of them... and I'm guessing they do remember you. Thank you