Saturday, August 15, 2009

Summer School!

As I look back, I’ve realized that I had a really good summer this year! One of the many highlights was when I volunteered at Breen summer school. I worked with kids in kindergarten through third grade who had autism. I loved this! I will never forget I was working at a station and this really small kindergartener walked up and sat next to me. I smiled and he said, “Hey, you have silver teeth just like me!” with a huge grin. Or how this little girl used to walk up and give everyone hugs all the time! And of course the Octopus song! They used to pick that as their song of the day all the time! We used to take field trips every Wednesday. One day we went to The Pizza Place and all the kids got make their own pizzas. It was so adorable how each one carefully crafted their pizza into a masterpiece. All of the kids had a love for life and very happy hearts, which made it a pleasure to work with them. I miss them! I also made new friends there, which definitely added to the experience. I really want to do it again next year!

No comments: