Monday, August 10, 2009

Command Line

Recently, I have began to realize how useful the command line is. For a recent project of mine, I had to set up a web server using Ubuntu Linux Server Edition. When it had finished installing, I got a prompt on a black screen saying "pete@67-107-13-195:~$" I realized that Ubuntu Server Edition does not come with a GUI, or graphical user interface. Instead, it expects you to type in everything that you want to do, not using your mouse at all.

I was forced to expand my knowledge from just knowing the commands "ifconfig" and "exit" to knowing how to install programs, create and edit files, change settings, and more. I now realize why many "computer geeks" prefer to use the command line to navigate their computers, rather than a GUI. The command line allows you to directly change settings and know exactly what you are doing. It also makes installing programs much easier by typing just four words, rather than going through endless menues, trying to find what you are looking for.

I still perfer to use the GUI for web browsing, games, and normal everyday use, but when it comes to troubleshooting and server administration, I will without a doubt choose to use the command line.

2 comments:

RHS Flash said...

I wish I understoond this... but it sounds like you do. Sounds like we need to put you to work! cn

AliciaLaryn said...

sudo make me a sandwich