Friday, August 7, 2009

The Resistance


Muse, a popular European alternative band, is releasing a new album in September. Muse has been my favorite band ever since my friend introduced me to it a few months ago. As much as I like their music, I am slightly unsettled by the direction that their new album is taking. From the beginning, Muse's lead singer, Matt Bellamy, has written songs with either no theme or a pointless theme, like aliens taking over the government or puppies being genetically engineered. However, judging by the first two singles from The Resistance, this new album seems to be full of Bellamy's conspiracy theories.
 
The first single, United States of Eurasia, is basically Matt Bellamy criticizing how the United States treats other countries. The song is about how Bellamy thinks that the US is trying to take over all of Europe and Asia. He says that the US is punishing people for “unproved crimes” and that they are starting wars about nothing. The second single, Uprising, he says that the US government is hiding “the truth” (whatever that may be) from its citizens. Bellamy claims that the government promotes drugs to keep us “all dumbed down.” One of the lines from the song, “rise up and take the power back,” is an example of Bellamy's repeated claim that the government has taken all power from its citizens.
 
Muse is still one of my favorite bands, but I hope that their future albums do not continue this theme. I want the old Muse back.

1 comment:

RHS Flash said...

I'm going to give them a listen...
cn