Monday, May 18, 2009

Retail

I've worked in retail for about 9 months and through various experiences in the clothing department I think I've gained a little understanding of the human condition

The Customer
Customers are people, but people who momentarily forget themselves in the sale. If you ever work in retail remember that when there is a good sale going on the store becomes a feeding frenzy on the nature channel:
-Customers have no problem looking through the clothing in your hands (even though it may seem a very heavy load to you)
-They also have very few qualms with putting their pile of clothing on top of your already existing mountain (when they've tried on all the colors and sizes of every shirt)
-Customers feel the need to explain to you:
For instance, there are always people returning gifts- like when a woman who wanted to return something and before I could get a sentence out she told me that it was actually her daughter-in-law who bought "it" and that "it" was something that she had absolutely no use for. Which was awkward when I told her that customer service didn't need an explanation for returned items.
What is also awkward are the mom's who are embarrassed because their sons happen to prefer the girl's pants (specifically an Avril Levenge line) and the mom's just can't believe the fashion these days and they are just so embarrassed to ask for your help. And what you will really want to tell the mom is that parents probably thought the style in the 70's were inappropriate too.

And now, a few tips for the employee:
-Think of keeping your bar clean like a game of tetris (that way you never take it too seriously, unlike me. I actually told my manager that I was getting murdered by the customers the other day. Colorful language that can only lead to embarrasment)
-When your really busy avoiding the customers involves a few key steps:
Don’t make eye contact
Walk very fast
(and since I’ve already made a video game analogy) think of it like a game of Pac-man (the customers are the ghosts!)

The Employee
Customers meet the employee, their job is to clean up after you and keep you happy (like a baby). They clean your messy fitting room, answer all of your questions and help you purchase and bag your items
Remember that during a sale
-Employee's probably haven't had a break yet which means they haven't eaten since they got there
-They are probably not the reason there is a long line and they are trully going as fast as they can
-Feeling pity for them when the clothing is everywhere is nice but it only helps them when customers clean up after themselves.
-This is, however, their JOB and they are getting PAID for their efforts.

This is one thing that in times of retail crisis I have to remind myself. I am currently saving all of the money I receive for college (so it gets hard to keep my morale going when I don’t actually see or use any of the money that I'm receiving...). When I'm in the store I get to feeling like it's my little world that I have to keep clean but then when I clock out a miraculous thing happens and it's over. As I walk out of the store I am a customer again- I don't have to pick up the clothing or smile and greet the others. I can understand again how important it is in this other world to have that last T-shirt even though it's buried in the back somewhere. But I'm also here with the knowledge that as people we sometimes try to fill a gap in our lives with stores and sales. Outside of the store I can remember that life goes beyond designers and registers. Outside of the store customers and employees live peacefully (at least until the next sale).
A little bit of understanding and perspective can make a shopping trip or a day at work a lot easier. Just something for you to keep in mind next time...

2 comments:

Emily said...

Lol. This has been really insightful.

Megan said...

maybe one of the most amazing blogs i've read...for some reason i found this very entertaining