Friday, May 1, 2009

I Decided.

I know this is going to be a very common topic over the next few days on here, but I've chosen a school. I'm going to be a UC Santa Cruz slug come fall.
And to me, this is utterly dynamic.

This is the biggest decision I've ever made in my life. I not only chose to move out of my parents' house and am launching myself into an alternate universe, but I took an uncomfortable leap.
I didn't follow all of my friends, which are all either going to Davis, SacState, or Sierra.
All local schools. They're all close enough for comfort and a weekend home with mom and dad.

I'm also aware of how trivial this sounds- that I even had an issue deciding because of my friends' decisions. But these aren't just friends. They're like my family. I've gone to school with them since elementary school, we share childhood memories together. We've milked Rocklin for all the entertainment it could provide for us over the last 18 years. And I expected them to scatter with their school choices, all over California. So I wouldn't be the odd one out.
However, they all decided on Davis or SacState. Don't know how this happened, but Davis seemed to work out for all of them. I'm the only one who's actually leaving home.
My friends are even rooming together.
This allows me to wipe a clean slate, and start over. But I've been second-guessing the fact that I actually want that, and its made this choice especially difficult for me to make, given its magnitude.
So this is a life experiment. We'll see how it turns out, and what kind of person I become in the process.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Well, I think that is great for you! You'll make lots of new friends in college who will stick with you for a long time. :)