Sunday, September 19, 2010

School of Rock in the ER...

I've had a pretty interesting weekend so far. On Saturday morning I had a soccer game. Our team won and it was a pretty good game until the end. The game was almost over and a girl on the other team kicked the ball and it hit me in the jaw. I played a bit longer until I realized that my mouth wouldn't close.

I couldn't play with my mouth wide open so I ran off the field and the coach subbed someone else in for me. I couldn't explain why I was off the field since I couldn't talk but I managed to get the message across. Before I left with my mom someones mom (who is also a nurse) told us we needed to go to the hospital because I still couldn't close my mouth.

So me and my mom drove to the ER. I was sort of annoyed. I didn't really think the Emergency Room was necessary, and it definitely wasn't a good way to spend the rest of my Saturday. We sat in the waiting room for a while until a nurse did Triage (checking you over to set your priority level on the list, if your dying they'll get you in pretty fast), then my mom did paperwork while I watched School of Rock with a big folded up piece of gauze holding my mouth open.

ER Waiting rooms can definitely be an unusual experience. They make you feel unlucky (it is not a good thing to be in the ER) but they also can make you feel lucky because you see alot of people who are worse off (people with bleeding heads or little kids with broken wrists).
After waiting for around 2 hours we saw a doctor. He said I either have a strained or cracked mandible (jaw bone). Now I need to ice it, eat soft food and take pain meds. So hopefully it's better by Monday and I can chew gum again.

3 comments:

Brit said...

aww poor keely :( at least it was a pretty quick trip to the ER. When i had to take my dad there last year, we were there for 6 and a half hours!

Danielle said...

awww :( that sounds so painful! how is it now?

RHS Flash said...

ER is a world all by itself. A strange one. Hope you feel better soon.