Thursday, September 23, 2010

Living without TV

For over a year now I have not actually watched TV. In May of 2009, we shut down our membership with Dish network planning to switch to something else. It never happened. People always ask me how I can stand not watching TV and to tell you the truth I don't miss it. I still watch movies and some shows via hulu.com, but only occasionally on the weekends. I'm glad that I don't have television to distract me from all the homework and activities I already have going on, or else I would never get anything done. I'm able to savor the rare occasions when I do get to watch shows since it's not always readily accessible.

In my opinion television has become too prominent a part of our society today. It's a great source of entertainment and occasionally education but I believe that people would be more productive if they didn't spend sooo much time sitting around. I've also noticed the influence commercials have. I never really noticed commercials when I used to watch TV, but I notice people talking about commercials more now since I have no idea what they're talking about, having not seen any recent commercials. I consider myself fortunate to have the opportunity to live completely without the influence of television as it has give me more insight into the role of the media in our community.

1 comment:

natalie said...

movies and hulu is all you need! not watching tv only on the weekends will save you so much time during the week to get homework done. I'm going to try that! I don't know if I can get off facebook though...