Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Fountainhead

Anyone reading that extremely long 700 page book for Juniors Honors English? Well i am.

I have to say i really like the book. The book is all about not selling your soul for materalistic things and living your life as an individual. There is also a love affair going on between two of the characters. To say the least it is umm...interesting.

Ellsworth M. Toohey is a character in the book that is completely against individualism, and he thinks the only way to find happiness is by selling your soul because that is apparently an act of unselfishness, but he is a total hypocrite He destroys everyone's dream that he comes in to contact with. And they all love him for it. I just want to scream to them can't you see that you are selling your soul for NOTHING. I swear when i'm reading about him, i want to break into the story and just strangle him.

Howard Roark is my favorite person in the story. He is the only one that remains true to himself and doesn't sell out no matter what the consequences are. Every time, he comes against a new temption i'm so scared that he will sell out and lose himself. He hasn't dissapointed me yet but I still have a 100 pages to go.

I'm really hoping that the book will end with Toohey getting what he deserves. I hope that he is expose to everyone as a fraud. It would really make my day. I hope that Roark ends up with Dominique even though there relationship is tremendously complicated and a little strange.

I could go on and on about this book and its characters for hours. The book is very complicated and there is an underline meaning that the author never says aloud but by reading in between the lines you can understand what the author is saying, but it does leave me stumped some times.

Well i'm off to read the book. If you like being an individual then i would seriously recommend it. Don't be scared about the book size. It is long but it is a good story. I can't help but say that I will be really happy when i'm done reading it though. Not because i don't enjoy the book, but i have been reading like 2 hundred pages a day for 3 days straight. This book would be better if I took it at a slower place but we all have deadlines.

1 comment:

RHS Flash said...

You are a brave soul... that book is a handful. Would love to talk about it. Go forth brave one. cn