Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Importance of Rabbits in Our Culture

From Alice in wonderland to Frank-
I watched Donnie Darko a few weeks ago (by the by if you havent seen it, watch it near Halloween!), I had been putting it off because it was so popular and cliche. But it was really very good. And if you havent watched it, dont read this. Not because Im gonna ruin it but just in case you wan to make your own opinions about it.
I am very interested in the theory of time travel (more of it is apparently in the extended cut!!!) and what people think about it. I always thought that it was extremely possible- because we dont know what kinds of crazy things they've come up with in the future. But also because I am of the belief that time is relative- a philosopher described it as a flow of water (like a river or a stream). What if everything has already happened, the entire history, present and future has already played out. But we as human beings experience it at a much slower rate and in a certain order. That is not to say we dont have free will to make decisions, but we have already made the decisions.
When I told my friend the apparently popular theory, he laughed at me. He said people call things relative when they dont know what they're talking about- which is probably true. His conflict with the idea of time travel is that (as seen in the movie- Stop Reading If You Want To Watch It First) if it's possible then our idea that people have free will is incorrect. He thinks that if there is a God and that time travel is possible then we think that we have choices- but we really dont. Our path is already set out before us and we just follow it aimlessly to our ends.
I dont know about this theory, and i dont even believe concretely in my own- I wanted to know what other people out there were thinking about this topic. Or, here's something related: Is there a God?

2 comments:

RHS Flash said...

Your view of the world never fails to entertain.

KryptoChicken said...

I think you have an excellent idea, and I had thought of that a long time ago. To answer that last question, I personally don't believe in God, and even if he is real, he is not who he claims to be. why else would the world be in this state of chaos.