Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Cheerleading

I just read Kelsey's post about varsity cheer and it got me worked up about cheering. In case no one knows, I've cheered since 7th grade and then this year I made the decision not to try out. I didn't know if I was going to regret it or if it was the right choice...but I did it. Honestly, I actually tried out for the drill team, which WAS a mistake. But this isn't about that...

I completely agree with Kelsey about cheer being different. My freshmen and sophomore years, Rocklin cheerleading was amazing. Everyone LOVED to cheer. We all got along, made jokes, and didn't complain. I noticed last year that it started to change. Last year was still amazing, our coach made it fun and made us love it.

Nothing against Coach Eguyd (varsity coach), because she is an amazing coach. The problem is that people don't cheer because they love it anymore. Girls like to wear short skirts, put a bow in their hair, and be in the spotlight. And that's not what cheer's about.

It should be about working hard, pushing to get that stunt that we never thought we'd hit, getting the school involved, and bonding as a team. Seriously, if that was what cheer was about this year, I would have tried out. But when I see the varsity team on Friday nights, I know I made the right decision to not cheer. I can tell by the way everyone stands like they just don't care.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against those girls. They work hard and look great. And I'm not referring to all of them. I just wish cheerleading was still about what it's supposed to be. Because I really miss it. And I know what Rocklin can be...I wish the girls knew too. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they all love it.

But....I think I'm right. And I can't wait until college, when I can cheer again...and be with girls who love it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can proudly say I want to be part of the delta squad this year... does anyone know when and how i can make this happen?

Anonymous said...

i strongly support on what you did, because people change, when your a freshman , and lets say you try out for sports like cheerleading for example, since its your first year, you wanna make the team and you work hard, and then by your sophore year your still involved and you love the sport, but once you get older, you change like some of the girls on the team, they figure , they are like all that , and dont need to be trying anymore, cause as i said before, they think they are cool and stuff, but as i heard college is the most fun part of your life