Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Day the Music Died

Wow, I don't know what to say. Rap today, well, it isn't rap. At least the mainstream. And what is screamo? To me, screamo sounds like lead singers who cannot sing so instead they scream in an attempt to release emotional music with a sting. But, to the dismay, their is no intellect or emotion in this at all, it is just blaring into the microphone. The lyrics are weak as well, and the bass and drum tempo has the same formula in each and every song. Basically, screamo music is when your mom makes you do the dishes. 
Well anyway, back to the rap. Rap we here on MTV and all, for the most part contains lyrics such as: "He just stepped on my J's, he just stepped on my J's"(times 50) and "Lick the lollypop c'mon and lick the lollypop" (that also times 50) and don't forget: "I gots me some bathing Apes, I gots me some bathing apes" (that maybe times 100). I wouldn't be surprised if my 5th grade brother listened to this, but c'mon, this is considered good? They need to save this kind of music for Kidz Bob 9 and maybe put in on a Disney Audio Cd from Radio Disney. I start to wonder if these 1 hit wonder rap artists are trying to pull off a big joke of some kind. What ever happened to Chamillionare? What about Pretty Ricky? or Rich Boy? Dang and to thing those were household names just a couple years ago and now no one seems to mention them... The point to this is, if your going to rap, please rap, otherwise please go under the teeny-bop bubble gum music genre, please. 
Lastly, we look at these new pre-pop indie bands that only last for so long. They could be emo or they could not be, I am talking about those bands that have titles like: The Color Fred, September Tomorrow, (+44), My Love Shall Alast, Boys Like Girls, The Promise Ring, etc. I have to ask WTF is up with this stuff? Are they pre-puebescent children trying to impersonate Shakespeare (My Love Shall Alast)? Are they bands that think of their names when they are reading Friendship Novels (The Promise Ring)? I know band names are not the most important feature especially when it comes down to the music, but their names are just as similar as they sound to music eachother. 
My point is not to ridicule, but seriously, the majority of what I am mentioning is garbage. Some body somewhere should turn the music industry around a little. This stuff is getting pretty old pretty fast... 

5 comments:

michelle said...

Interesting points. I don't listen to much rap anyways, aside from what is played at dances.
But after that long list of what you do not like, I have to ask:
What music DO you listen to/consider "good"?

Anonymous said...

Honestly, you COULD make this argument more convincing if you used legitimate arguments and knew the given titles, instead of slang titles of the genres you are so called "analyzing." In which case already I doubt you listen to this music and can comprehend that it is cultural and inspired by such as well as events and happenings in the world and the lives of others.

I doubt you know real rap groups like Immortal Technique, in which they create songs about poverty, politics, and any and every thing that comes up that may be abrasive to the lives of audiences. You could listen to a "screamo" band named The Spirit That Guides Us and realize that most of their lyrics are encouraging religious and motivational lyrics.

Also, for the "genres" you speak of, "emo," "screamo," and "gnar" are not real titles. Emotive hardcore is the legitimate title for bands such as Minor Threat, from which Ian McKaye started the Straight Edge movement. Now you tell me, is that not influential? Music spread the no alcohol, no hallucinogen, and no sex for life movement? And hardcore, which is more or less the genre for anything with screaming or growling though there is nothing influential of this music that I know of yet. Which doesn't really matter, anyways.

This is a biased topic and you obviously have not explored the world of music enough. If you are to make a statement, research before you propose your view. Otherwise you just seem immensely incompetent.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

The music industry is more than happy to shovel out this "garbage" because stupid high school kids are willing to buy it. With CD sales decreasing the past few years in part to piracy and as you mention, plain bad music, a sure sale is much more important than something a little new and different.

While I will agree that most mainstream rap music has declined into a formulaic mess, the Rappers you mention, Chamillionare, Rich Boy, are part of this same formula. They are no different from any other generic club song that gets you dancing. And thats all that people want, is a song that makes you dance (in this club) for the night, and you go home and forget about it. Most people don't expect to have their lives changed by a rap song.

Anonymous said...

Leave it be
People can have their own opinions
It dosent mean that there is one right answer
But think before you post something that could offend someone.

KryptoChicken said...

I am probably going to offend a lot of people, but I don't care. The songs that are played on radio stations these days almost all suck. Repetitive music, offensive and pointless lyrics; why do we keep listening to this crap? Seriously, it is pretty sad.