Sunday, February 21, 2010

Technology and us

So Mr. Hurrianko had his sophomores record the amount of time they spent doing “digital activities” (browsing the internet, Facebook, e-mail, Twitter, texting, gaming etc.) over break. I'll admit, I wasn't too good about recording how much time I spent in my "digital activities" but I guess I can say it was a lot. And that got me thinking…

The use of technology is a very personal thing. My personal relationship with technology is much different from dragonslayer3.14's down the street. My “digital activity” consists mostly of facebook and text. Mr. Hurrianko wanted us to list some positive and negative influences these activities have on us, and I found a lot more pros than cons for me, personally. For example, I use facebook to keep in contact with all my friends and family who live all around the world. The only con I find when using facebook is that it is VERY addicting and swallows up the time that I could be using to get extra homework done. As for texting, I HATE when people text me just to talk. If there is something I really need to talk to someone about, I will either call them or talk to them when I see them. I use text when it comes to planning things with my friends. Texting is great for getting right to the point and not having to worry about having some formal conversation over the phone before you can hang up, which can end up to be a 45 minute phone conversation. Now that’s what I call time wasted! And then what if you forget to mention something? Then you have to call that person back again and that gets really annoying. A text is more informal, efficient, and useful. Also, I'd rather get carpal tunnel from texting than a brain tumor from being on the phone too often. So I’m pretty proud to say that I’m not a tech addict, and that I use technology to positively benefit me most of the time. I just hope that people can be more responsible when it comes to technology. It can do great things for us if used correctly. We just can’t let it take over our lives. It may be easier said than done, but it is possible to overcome.

2 comments:

RHS Flash said...

Interesting assignment... and self reflection. You reminded me why I don't have a Facebook. cn

Holly said...

You used technology to watch like 5000000 movies with me over break! Hooray.