Sunday, February 28, 2010

S&D

Well, I went to what may have been my last Speech and Debate tournament ever yesterday and it was pretty fun. I ended up placing 6th in my event out of 43 competitors, so not too bad for a last tourney, and Niraj Amalkanti actually managed to place first in National Extemp, which is one of the hardest(in terms of research and studying) events that there are. Now in case you've never been to one of these tournaments(I don't think anyone that reads this blog has) the other competitors are pretty much the most insane people you'll ever meet. You know the people that have 4.5 gpa's, a 2400 SAT, 7 extra curricular activities, and get accepted to every Ivy League school plus Stanford? yeah, theyre all at these tournaments, so placing well is very difficult, especially at the end of the year. At any rate, the team did well and so did i, i might actually go to state, we're not sure on that yet tho since the league still has to figure out some stuff, but that would be a good way to end things. It's been a fun run and I've learned a ton about speaking and debating in public. If anyone is at all interested in becoming better at speaking, writing, debating, researching, or anything even remotely related to academics, then i would highly recommend giving this a shot next year. You'll learn a lot of skills that are invaluable in every day life, plus you get to have fun and earn trophies and medals and stuff. I know I enjoyed it!

No comments: