Friday, February 27, 2009

Facebook Friends

Yesterday I read an article in the Bee about the dramatic proliferated number of Facebook users. All of a sudden, adults are joining Facebook and starting the latest trend. Myspace isn't experiencing all of these new adult users. What's suddenly attracting all of these adults to facebook?

I have both a facebook and a myspace. I've had myspace for a year and facebook for about two or three months-both of which I orginally got because of something school related. There are certain features I like in each one, so I don't really have an extreme preference. Adults, on the other hand, seem to definetley prefer facebook-as seen by the statistics.

I only have two "friends" on facebook that are among the adult crowd. The first person is my good friend's mom. I remember my friend's reaction when I told him his mom and I were friends on facebook. He didn't see a point and it turned into a funny situation...hahah, but he later accepted it. Ironically, while his mom and him aren't even friends on facebook, his mom will send me "Top Girls" requests, etc. The second adult is my other friend's mom. She doesn't talk to me as much as my other friends' mom, and my friend didn't even mind that his mom and I were "friends."

This time is becoming so internet dependent I can only wonder what's coming next.

2 comments:

michelle said...

I would say Facebook is certainly becoming more superior to Myspace. Think about it in terms of publicity. How many cases against Facebook have you heard with underage teens getting in nasty situations compared to that of Myspace?

And in regards to the whole adult following that Facebook is acquiring, a really recent issue of Time featured a comical list of explanations why adults have just as much right to have Facebook as high school and college students do. When you think about it, they do. Facebook is all about networking and in this day and age, it is extremely important to have that strong networking connection to old colleagues and classmates because one never knows when it might be needed.

Of course, I'll still admit that it's a little weird having your parents and relatives add you on Facebook. There are just some things you want to keep separate sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I think more adults have facebook because you can enter in where you went to highschool and it gives you all these people you went to school with. My aunt got one and she said she already found 60 people she went to school with. Plus its more professional, compared to myspace.