Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Giving up Sweets

This year, for Lent, I am giving up sweets. I did the same last year. My church encourages us to give up something that we like, which doesn't always have to be food (gossiping, TV, music, etc). I eat a healthy amount, but it's still a good challenge. Amber just brought a cake to class for her birthday, but I'm not even going to give in. It's only day one and I would be angry with myself for the rest of the forty days if I rebelled this early. I remember last year, on the first day of Lent, my French class had its Mardi Gras party. Some of my friends rubbed chocolate in my face, which was expected. Honestly it wasn't even difficult after the first two weeks (hardest part). After about a month, I didn't miss sweets nearly as much as I had thought I would. I noticed the less you eat the less you crave/miss them. I'm just thankful Easter comes before my birthday this year! But before I can think about that I need to stay focused on the upcoming forty days.

3 comments:

victoria said...

I went a year without chocolate and I still missed it just as much in the end as when I started haha

Anonymous said...

That's a great challenge. :)
I gave up soda on the 2nd of February as a post New Year's Resolution and I don't miss it at all.

Anonymous said...

im gonna be a vegetarian for lent...starting today!! no meat for me in the next 40 days...wow, i already cant wait for easter!
lent is cool cuz its when i learn that a ton of people i know are catholic and before i had no idea :) its always fun to ask other people what they are giving up