Thursday, February 26, 2009

I want to live in Almost, Maine.

So lately, I've had this minor obsession over this play called "Almost, Maine". At Lenaea, a school got a command performance for their duo scene from the play and it was there that I realized what an amazing show it was.
"Almost, Maine" is like a series of vignettes about these different individuals in the town of Almost, Maine all dealing with falling in love and the trials that come along with it. Now, I know that sounds really cheesy, but all the scenes are so incredibly over the top that it's actually really cute, so I guess if you're not into the cutesy, romantic thing you probably shouldn't check it out. I wish I could summarize a scene to explain why I find this show so incredible and poignant, but I really think you'll need to read it for yourselves to understand.
I think part of it has to do with the fact that I, like many other people, am a sucker for sweet words and stories and the way each scene is presented it doesn't make love seem like this cheesy, unattainable thing. It humanizes it in a way and makes it entertaining. And even amongst the humor and entertainment is something you can relate to.

Here's a link to the show's script.

I'll leave you with a quote that I really love from the show. It's from a scene near the end about this woman who travels hundreds of miles to finally tell the man who asked her to marry him years earlier "Yes" only to find him completely changed from "losing hope".

"I know this isn’t going to be very easy, but I was just out there all alone in the world, and I got so scared, because all I could think about was how I had no place in this world, but then I just outta nowhere realized that there was one place in this world that I did have, and that was with you, so I flew and I took a taxi to get to you, I just had to come see you"

1 comment:

Kate Rose said...

I LOVE ALMOST MAINE!!!
Lets tell toep! You had a good description of it, I might even add the word "quirky" because I think it works well with the personality in all the scences.