Monday, February 9, 2009

Australia Burns


The recent bushfires in South Australia have taught me a lesson in humility. The death toll is estimated at 165 and rising, with over 500,000 acres gutted throughout rural areas. I remember back to the wildfires this year in Southern California, where no lives were taken and only 84,000 acres were destroyed, and, while those fires were no less of a disaster, I am grateful that not one life was lost.

I have many family members in the Los Angeles area, and I lived there until the second semester of the 2005 school year. It is scary to think what could have happened to my former home if the fire spread like it has in Australia.

I just hope that the fire is under control quickly, and no one else has to suffer.

4 comments:

RHS Flash said...

So nice to see someone who cares about the world.

Anonymous said...

It's such a tragedy, I hope the best to all the families who were harmed.

Anonymous said...

thanks for informing more people about this huge problem!

Anonymous said...

Same here I hope that they can get those fires under control. I thank you for the information, I had heard about the fires but didn't really know about any of the statistics. I wish them the best.