Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cake Decorating

I find the decorating of delicious baked goods to be an extraordinarily entertaining hobby. It is a way to express creativity through a meshing of art and baking. I took a class for cake decorating a couple summers ago and learned the basics of icing and piping and such. I now know how to make roses and those fancy shell borders you see on store-bought cakes.

I have a book for cupcake decorating called 'Hello Cupcake' and it shows how to make all of the cutest designs, from bugs to puppies to a mosaic of Starry Night. I have yet to try all of the decorating types, but I hope to accomplish most of them during the summer. On Sadies night, Amanda and Juli and I made cupcake owls depicting all of the members of Mock trial. 'Twas an occasion of hilarity, proving the theory that baking brings people together.

I admire people who can make a livelihood out of baking, who really never work a day in their lives out of passion for their craft. An example of said type of person is Duff Goldman. 'Ace of Cakes' is one of my favorite shows of all time because it looks like all the employees have a blast working at Charm City Cakes despite the stress of meeting deadlines. My favorite is Geoff because of his monotone sense of humor and insane talent. The only thing that's kind of disappointing about the bakery is that I wish they had more cake and less wooden dowels and such in their creations.

So my prediction is that my summer will be filled with lots of cake making and hopefully more decorating lessons, which I am looking forward to immensely. I am documenting this in order to make sure that I get to all of my cake plans in the next few months. Happy baking!

3 comments:

Danielle said...

ahhh Ace of Cakes! best cakes ever :)

Unknown said...

When I open my bakery you're hired. That'll have to be our part time job though y'know because we'll be busy working at Verma-Wong-Bouzid law firm.

Emily said...

When I open my bakery you're hired. But that'll have to be a part time job y'know because we'll be busy working at Wong-Verma-Bouzid law firm.