Monday, July 6, 2009

Why I love the summer.

Even though summer is not so wonderful as far as the volume of work you have to get done (it's not so much a vacation as much as an extended school night), it does offer me many, many hours in which I can finally catch up on my Oscar-winning movie list. I can remember growing up and watching the Academy Awards ceremony every single year with my mom and dad, but secretly loathing the fact that I'd only seen one or two movies per category. The sad truth is that 75% of those movies that the Academy deems to be Oscar-worthy all seem to fall under the "age 17+" domain. And now, as a 17 year old, there is suddenly a bevy of new movies to watch... and conquer (haha?).
Some of my findings include Pretty Woman (it was entertaining, but not AMAZING), Schindler's List (incredible), The Shawshank Redemption, Jerry Maguire, American Beauty (creepy), Quills (!), Erin Brockovich, Capote, and Babel (wonderful).
There are still a few on my list. Even though my parents would let me watch R-rated movies before, there's something to be said for the sense of entitlement you feel being able to watch them as a 17-year-old.

2 comments:

Paige said...

ohh alicia. if only i watched the oscars so i could relate to you right now... but i dont. :P

RHS Flash said...

Did you read they'll be doubling the number of "Best Picture" entries next year to 10? Wow, you better plan ahead for next summer. But I love that you do this... I love the idea of a student being a student of film- Nichols