Saturday, July 25, 2009

Home for the moment

Or so it seems.
Having read back, we have a core group blogging and some folks not. I'll send out another e-mail today.
I just finished 10 days in Florida and then four more in MN. Now it's off to San Diego Sunday for 11 days. But not all work and no play.
Clearly there are many stories, but here are the key ones.
* Carson is thriving. Her language continues to explore, she rarely stops talking or singing, and is such a positive kid. She's seen her Great Grandparents in Florida and many friends, new and old. Always the life of the party. Most importantly, she is fully indoctrinated into Mickey and especially Mini after Disneyworld.
* Health is still sketchy, but getting by. Such is life. I do wake up at 4 a.m. every day and am able to do things like this.
* How 'bout them Giants?
* I remmain excited about the school year despite Cali being a financial mess.

And my positive attitude story...
Returning from MN, I wanted to catch a direct flight and get home three hours early. I'd done a motivational talk to end the workshop, and was feeling very good about life.
Trying Delta's three-hour standby (for $50), they twice said the plane was full, on the phone and in person.
An hour before the flight I tried again, still no go.
"Oh, well"... I went to my gate for Salt Lake (thus a three-hour longer trip) and was chatting with a nice guy from Idaho (I rarely talk in airports, he started it). They asked for volunteers for a bump and voucher, and since I was going to be late anyway, what the heck.
I simply told "Yvonne" I needed to get back to Sacramento that night, but I'd gladly take a bump. A few minutes later she called me up, and said she'd gotten me the last seat on the 5:15 direct I'd been trying to get on! No charge (but no voucher).
I told her she'd made my day.
But my good attitude kharma was not over.
I preboard for medical, so I'm sitting in my middle seat waiting... when a family comes in around me and asks would I be willing to switch to an aisle seat so they could sit together. "Would I, that's the second nicest thing that's happened to me today!"
Bottom line, I got home by 7 p.m. Pacific and had dinner with my wife and daughter. All because of a positive attitude.

cn

No comments: