Friday, July 10, 2009

Less now, more then.

College applications are out... and now it's time to start trekking up senior year. It seems like everyone is really starting to feel it now. Isabel has to get a bunch of essays turned in for a Naval Academy scholarship by the beginning of August... yikes.
I can still remember some of the summers from past years. Doubtless, I spent about half of my summers in Louisiana but a lot of them were just spent in Vacaville, hanging out on trampolines and having lemonade stands. One time, we had too many kids in the neighborhood manning the lemonade stand so I told my friend we didn't have enough chairs or some other reason (so we could hoard the dimes for ourselves, we knew how math worked). She proceeded to go inside her house, grab a chair for herself, and set up a competing business two doors down from us--selling milk.
There were a lot of good memories there, especially when they had the best community pool since Waterworld (remember that, anyone? Anyone?). There are some places, kind of like Disneyland, where it's not quite as unreal and magical as it was when you were 5 and believed anything, but simply the fact that you can remember the feeling keeps you in awe for the rest of your life. I want to go back to that pool sometime this summer, and see if that basic formula can be applied there.

1 comment:

RHS Flash said...

Hold on to those memories. Honestly, I teared up at Disney and I'm not sure why. But your very personal ones invoke others for readers. Cool. cn