Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Summer Away


This is my first blog this summer. My first blog ever actually... but about two weeks ago, i just came back from a month vacation with my family to Italy and Greece, and let me tell you, I needed one.
But as soon as I got home, it was back to the daily grind and it feels as if nothing ever happend. Of course, I made many memories. I feel rejuvinated and ready to get back on track with my life. I feel like a whole new person with new goals and a new found confidence, and I realize how fortunate I am to have had such an experience. I made some amazing friends to last me a life time and strengthened bonds with my family members overseas.
It was an extremely long trip. Very tiring. So tiring I need a vacation from my vacation. It took two days of flying to reach Rome. We stayed there for eight days (but you really only need three days to see everything) then visited family in a small village named Todi (the Rocklin of Italy but five hundred years older). From there, we caught the cruise ship and sailed for 12 days. Each day we had a new excursion: Monte Carlo, Livorno (Italy), Naples (Italy), Santorini (Greece), Kusadasi (Turkey), Mykonos (Greece), Athens (Greece), Katakolon (Greece), Corfu (Greece), Venice (Italy). When the cruise was over, we stayed three nights in Venice, two nights in Milan to visit friends and family, and then we stayed one night with family in a country town called Agrate Conturbia.
Differences in lifestyles:
(1) Eat dinner no earlier than nine and stay up past midnight at "Discos" or just chilling outside. The teenagers have a lot of freedom.
(2) No street lanes. Red lights don't mean anything. Police don't really seem to enforce traffic laws.
(3) European men are more aggressive when it comes to picking up women.
(4) Everyone smokes
(5) They dress well. ALways make themselves presentable.
(6) Tip is always included in the bill. No one ever tips otherwise. We were cheated a couple of times.
So ya. Travel is one of the greatest gifts someone can bestow on you. I hope everyone gets the chance to get out of this country and see what else is out there. Now I have to go do homework. Not much of a summer anymore...

2 comments:

Emily said...

That is such a nice view! :o
That must have been a wonderful trip! Midnight is so different. What time do they get up in the morning?! And what do people do at Discos?
I would like to go take a tour of Europe some day. I think it would be fun to go on the french trip. Are you going on that?

RHS Flash said...

This is so cool! I loved Greece, and you are right, travel is a gift. Truly you see the world differently. Love your observations. Rest... and post more! cn