Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Florida is wet

We are now into our second week in Florida (we came last Tuesday) and it feels like forever.
Let me just share highlights: I get time with my two best friends (my wife and John) and we are going non-stop. However, it rains. And it rains. And then the air is so thick you can drink it. Beyond friendship and work I can see no good reason for coming to Florida in the summer.
But, they do. Everywhere we go families and large groups from outside the U.S. If this is their first impression of US, help us.
More importantly, Carson's highlights.
She got to spend time with her Great Grandparents who are amazing people. At 93 and 83 they are such characters and rich with love. She entertained them (as she has everyone) with songs, dance, stories, etc.
We all attended Jostens Adviser Univeristy held at Disneyworld. Great fun with advisers from 38 states and three foreign countries. It was powerful learning, and powerful fun. The "Disney way" in action when you are attending a conference is amazing, too. One night I kidded a bartender at a reception that Carson wanted milk, after I'd ask for water, and he went and found her some milk.
Carson again entertained the 188 advisers non-stop. But I'm proudest that she remains, the grounded, grace-filled and joyous. I didn't like that every "cast member" called her "Princess", but I'll live with it.
The real highlight to date is the Magic Kingdom yesterday. It was hot, but Carson is now a full-on Disney phone. She got pictures with Pluto and Pooh, and we saw all the other important characters. She LOVES Minnie. She rodes It's a Small World and Dumbo.
That was really nice for the Mrs., because she grew up coming to Disneyworld, where I was a Disneyland guy (and we've done that one).
Today we start a two-day workshop here in Orlando, then it's home late Friday. I turn around and head for MN on Sunday.
My head still swirls with ideas for next year's immprovements... or let's just call them growth. But right now I'm wet, tired and having fun
cn

3 comments:

victoria said...

Can you imagine what my hair would do in that kind of humidity?! oh boy. Interestingly enough my parents went to college in Florida and that's where they met. I've been thinking about the paper a lot next year too. I'm so excited! :) I'm glad you're having fun!

Dominique said...

Haha! Well, I'm sorry about the wetness problem! At least you went to DisneyWorld! You can never go wrong with that!!! Hopefully the rest of your summer is joyous! I can't wait for journalism in Senior Year! See you then!

Mallory Valenzuela said...

nichols i miss you!!! can we have lunch or dinner soon?!

-mal