Friday, July 10, 2009

Loving Summer

I'm pretty sure this has been my favorite summer yet. I have nearly no free time, but that's alright I can't stand being bored. At all. Highlights so far include

1. Lifeguarding. My first actual job. Sure it's a lot of sun, but it's really fun and I've met new friends from it and get to see old friends from middle school.

2. Swim team. It means no sleeping in like everyone else, but it's worth it (even if it kills me) ha. It's a LONG story, but the first week of summer, me and Neil Brinckerhoff and 2 other friends decided to ditch practice. We ended up climbing fences and learned a lesson through an intense workout...let's just say we won't do that again. On a happier note,we had an inspirational speech from Randall Bal, the swimmer with the world record in the 50 m backstroke. And I swam my mile a lot faster than I thought I would so there's a good surprise.

3. Polo camp. I'm improving so much (at the cost of 6 am practice and super sore muscles)

4. Hanging out with my best friend, Safa Casim, while her little cousins were visiting from Pakistan. It's so interesting to see how they are so enthralled with everything HERE. I thought this could be a great feature story. (wow I'm a nerd haha)

5. Hanging out in general, particularly my visit to Folsom Lake. A friend from work's family took me on the wave-runner for the first time and I cannot even begin to describe how fun it was!! Psh forget Sunsplash ha.

6. Teaching private swim lessons on my own. (Trying to save up for a car, but need a license, too!)

7. Oh and I certainly cannot forget my internship for The Placer Herald! I am so lucky to have this right now. My first story was a preview on the show "Bye Bye Birdie." Although the paper was released yesterday, I have yet to see it in PRINT. Neil's going to save me a copy ha. That kid is practically my partner in crime. (in a GOOD way!)

I hope everyone is having a fabulous summer! I can't wait to hear about everyone's adventures :)

5 comments:

Neil B. said...

whoo! this summer has been great! (did you forget to mention me in the Folsom Lake, AND working?) We have been practically living together this summer! Cant wait for the adventures (Hopefully NOT Ryan ones) yet to come!

AliciaLaryn said...

I just got out the Placer Herald to see what you wrote--that's so cool! Good job!

Emily said...

!! Your story in The Placer Herald was great! I loved the lead sentence! We should have more stuff like that in The Flash.

lauren elizabeth said...

Oh my gosh you're amazing Amanda! That can be your nickname haha :) And you're so lucky!

RHS Flash said...

Love your passion in all these areas. And your "nerdy" wisdom. I'm going to try to find your story online while I'm on the road. cn