Sunday, November 1, 2009

Memoirs of a Boy Soldier

I just finished reading a book called A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier. I only picked it up because I needed an AR book and the librarian recommended it, but it ended up being one of the best books I've ever read. It's a firsthand account by a (now 29 year old) boy from Sierra Leone named Ishmeal Beah and his story of running from the war, becomming a part of it, and then running to escape it once again. The war that was going on in Sierra Leone up until recently drastically impacted his life. He wasn't alone; his story is no doubt like the stories of countless other boys from that country. The most heartbreaking part is that he consistently loses every person that he dares to love. Not one person in Ismael's life has lasted from cover to cover. The book is filled with page after page of detailed imagery and personification that make for a great read. Even if this isn't usually your style of book, I'm sure you'll be hooked before you read 50 pages.

2 comments:

natalie said...

alie, i call this book next!

Karin said...

I've read that book! It's very powerful and definately made me think more about other people who don't have life as easy as I do. Beah's story of overcoming such horrible circumstances is amazing!