Friday, October 30, 2009

Frozen in time

I was watching TLC the other day and there was a special on of a girl, Brooke, who is 16, but stopped growing and aging as a baby. "Her mental age is estimated to be 9-12 months old, and her physical size is that of a six month old." I feel sad for the family, but at the same time I think it's a miracle.
Scientists are trying to find the gene that made her stop aging because they believe it can help unlock the secret of eternal youth and how to put an end to alheizmers. Brooke also had a brain tumor that disappeared on its own. I don't know if the tumor had anything to do with her not aging, or if it is just another miracle. But, I mean, if science could uncover the secrets in her genes, countless people's lives could be saved. Especially with alzheimers. The scientists actually did track down the correct chromosome, but they still haven't found the exact mutated gene. I hope science will be advanced enough one day to unlock the mystery.
Anyway, watch this video on her:
http://www.mahalo.com/child-frozen-in-time

3 comments:

Alexandra said...

I saw her on the Tyra Show!! She is really incredible.

Karin said...

Wow that's amazing!

Lauren Sotir said...

I agree. Maybe a good thing can result from her condition and other lives can be saved. Hopefully that can happen!