Thursday, November 12, 2009

Asian Art Museum

I was reading the newspaper and I came across an article promoting the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco. Asia has very unique, and what I think to be lovely, artwork that I have to go see. It features new and old artwork, sculptures, textiles, etc. from all over the continent. They also have some art from the Middle East. I'm pretty sure that the stuff from the Middle East is newer then that of Eastern Asia but they still have some old stuff of both. I think a lot of the really old stuff of the Middle East is located in several museums in Cairo and Europe, but I could be wrong. Anyway, all of the artwork dates back from 2500 AD to the 19th century.

They currently have an exhibition on the art of Siam and Burma that is of the 19th century, that I think would be fun to go see.
The one I really want to see though is the Tibetan Buddhism that features works from thousands of years ago. The sculptures are amazing, plated with precious metals and minerals and the fine detail only adds to it. The artwork back then was so beautiful and had so much time put into them I could stare at them all day.

This is a link to some pictures.
http://www.asianart.org/collection.htm

No comments: