Monday, April 20, 2009

Rachel Getting Married

"Rachel Getting Married" is a grating film about family issues and discontent. Anne Hathaway was nominated for the Oscars Best Actress for her role as Rachel's sister. Going into the movie, I thought at first that Hathaway played Rachel, because you would think that the main character would be the one getting married.
This was an incorrect assumption however, and one that the script writer wanted the audience to make. Anne Hathaway is atcually Rachel's sister who is getting out of Rehab. for her sister's wedding.
You sence the family discord when she first asks to borrow the car and is turned down by her father. It is then that we can guess that she went to rehab for drunk driving. The rest I will leave for you to watch (I hate Spoilers).
Watching the movie, I concentrated mostly on seeing why the academy would nominate Anne Hathaway for an Oscar for this movie. Normally I'm not a huge3 fan of the actress who go t her start in "Princess Diaries", so I was a skeptic at first.
Her character is sinical and biting. Her one-liners are harsh and hysterical. But more inmportantly she is the protagnoist. As such the movie centers her, to the frustration of her usually calm sister. Rachel's wedding is at times overshadowed by her sister's arrival and old temptations and issues. Anne Hathaway does an excellent job at being once hated by the audience but then pitied and even liked. I found myself identifying with her more and more even though I had never been in her position (which I think is the test of a true actress).
She blended well with the film's hectic-indie feel and the movie shows off a Hathaway that can play someone outside of a teenage princess. Her performance is gritty and difficult to watch but stunning.

1 comment:

RHS Flash said...

She should have won the Oscar, plain and simple. Theater folks should be proud. cn