Wednesday, November 19, 2008

St. Louis!

Last week I traveled with Mr. Casey Nichols, Sami Wittwer, Amanda Palm, Brenna O'Niel, Krissy Pope, and the Whitney High crew to St. Louis, Missourri. We attended the JEA/NSPA national convention to meet with other publication staffs and go to sessions to learn from yearbook professionals.
On the first day we had a chance to go sightseeing around the city. We went up into the St. Louis arch, which by the way is absolutely enormoussssss. We took a tiny little clostrophobic pod up to the top, then we went out into this room with windows to see just how high you were. It was crazy. Then we went along the Mississippi River and took other various fun adventures.
Friday night there was a dance. Now let me just paint the scene for you here. 4000 highschool students, in one hotel. In one room. At a dance. With no rules. Now just imagine the 4000 nerdiest of nerds, gettin lowww. I mean down and dirty to very strange techno east coast music. It was out of control. I brought the hyphy movement with Sami and Amanda, and we got some stares to say the least when we busted out THE BIRD. Halfway into the dance, the convention director came onto the microphone. "We have no other choice but to shut down tonight's dance. Ceiling tiles on the floor beneath are falling and the chandelier has even fallen. It is no longer safe to continue this dance." And that was when the apocolypse of the yearbook world took place. Thousands of very, very angry nerds broke into a riot. People were screaming, chanting, breaking escalators, breaking chairs, and causing utter chaos in the Renaissance Grand. Every floor of the hotel turned into a party. I joined in on an Apples to Apples game with 30 people from all over the country. It was amusing, to say the least. And that is why I love the hilarious yearbook world.
Oh, and gas in Missourri is $1.78. It was insane. But Missourri is also freezing. It was snowing when we were walking down the street, and I literally believed that my ears were about to fall off my head. Oh, and on the plane ride there, a flight attendant didn't believe that I was over 15 years old and almost made me move from the emergency exit aisle on the plane. It cracked me up.
On a more serious note, we went to the Best of Show awards ceremony where Rocklin High's yearbook placed third and Whitney's yearbook placed first. It was pretty exciting.
Overall the trip was filled with alot of laughs. Alottt of laughs. And I am very sad that it was my last national journalism convention.

No comments: