Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Fear and Loathing in the Teen Job Market

Driving around the avenue within Fountains, the trendy new outdoor mall right next to the Galleria, I've come to the realization that I am stuck in a circle. Literally and metaphorically. Because although I have been trying to land a job for the past four months, I have landed absolutely nothing.

I mean, is there something I'm doing wrong here? Am I not making myself available enough? Not wearing the right clothes? Did I remember to brush my teeth?

It would be comforting to know that it was one of these things, but, in fact, one of the major contributions to my joblessness is the economy. Specifically, the fiery burning sinking of the economy.

See, as it would have it, the neo-laissez-faire policies of decades of presidential and legislative policy have come back to devour our lives. Indeed, the deregulation of many financial institutions has allowed these same business to run amok, taking dangerous chances and risking the security of their shareholders in order to boost profits.

Unfortunately, they took one chance too many.

Now, with such business as Circuit City and Linens & Things capsizing, the miniscule job market available to me is evaporating at a faster and faster rate.

As time goes on, I will begin to compete with adults in a market with higher and higher demand...but fewer jobs. These adults will also be more experienced and educated than their teen counterparts.

In fact, the U.S. Bureau of Labor released a statement examining teen job availability, citing a sharp decrease, forcasting a 34.2% employment rate.

This is the lowest percentage in 60 years.

Seems to me as though I'm going to be "SoL," and without a car, since I can't pay my car insurance.

Isn't it great to be in America?

No comments: