Thursday, November 8, 2012

Grandparents

I lost my first grandma before I was born, but I have read one of her letters and she seems so wonderful and I seriously cherish just reading that letter because she was such a strong woman who went through her house being burned to the ground, she went through so much distress and though I do not really know that much about her other than that...there is a feeling you get when you read someones handwritten letter that you have never met, their is a connection that is indescribable that connects the souls. I lost my second grandma, Shirley Holtsman, at a young age, she survived brain cancer, and became deaf after having part of her brain removed. She was also an unbelievable woman, I got to meet her before she was deaf but I cannot remember these days. But I do remember we would talk by writing on a white board to each other, we would bring her candy and I always remember her sewing and knitting me things and she was the sweetest women I'd ever met. I loved her so much and she passed away and it hurt my dad so much. Of course I was too young to ever understand, but now I kind of do. I lost my first grandpa just a few years ago. That was my first funeral by the grave, it is a life changing experience being so close to death, but even then I didn't understand, too young, and I did not know him very well. I know he served in the military during the vietnam war, but he wasn't in combat. He was a funny and nice man, named Bill Garrett, and he always brought me gifts for Christmas, the only time I remember seeing him. He was always drinking milk, always smiling and laughing, and he was so loved. And I lost my last grandpa before I was born too, you see, he moved away and lives in Wyoming. I visited him once but to me he still is more of just a man, not a grandpa. Of course he still lives today, but to me he is practically dead, with no word from him on my birthday, or Christmas, or at all. It is for this matter, he really isn't alive in my world, he is just a man. The reason I wrote this is because I want people who have grandparents to appreciate them, I mean really give thanks to them this thanksgiving. If they have stayed in your life and loved you, or if you are lucky enough to have healthy and alive grandparents than you should be so thankful that you have them in your life. It is one thing to have loving parents, which I have, but it is another to have loving grandparents. But sometimes, I cry because I wish I could have known mine better and I wish they had the chance to see who I have become. Love them now and don't wait to ask them questions.

No comments: