Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Censorship and Thank You

Today, as I  looked up Rocklin High School trying to get to the website, I found an article on the LA Times about my actions against the censorship of Different Seasons by Stephen King. I followed this trail through the internet to protests letter sent to the board, to even an article in the NY Daily news! I cannot believe how large this has gotten.

It's late at night, and I need to go to bed soon, but I want to thank everyone who has supported me, especially my teachers. There were many times I wanted to hide, and many times I almost regretted my actions, but they have bolstered me through everything. Mr. Bills is included in that list; his regard, kindness, empathy, and openness have really comforted me. I know that some negative backlash will hit him as it has hit me, maybe even more so, and I worry about that a lot.

Next Wednesday, the results come in for if the board will ban Different Seasons or not. I hope it's not banned, really, because if it is, I plan to pursue the issue higher. I want this problem to not become a large mark on RHS, but I cannot sit by and watch this happen.

AW

1 comment:

Franchesca said...

YOU ARE AWESOME... that is all <3