Friday, October 2, 2009

Bedridden Bummer

This past week, I missed three days of school for being sick. I've also missed my last period classes (French and Chem) I don't come home until eight some nights and then I still have to eat dinner and then I start homework.

This is only sophomore year. I'm in only one AP class. I can't even imagine how juniors and seniors taking multiple AP classes and with a job can manage. My goal was to have an impressive transcript, a job, play varsity golf and more, but I can barely handle one AP class. I feel as if I'm gradually lowering my expectations, just so I can meet a few of them. I'm used to doing really well in school, and now I'm just doing ok. And truthfully I could be happy with "ok", but my parents don't find that acceptable.

I don't get any sleep anymore. Especially during homecoming week, I would be finished with half my homework by eleven or twelve at night, and then have to wake up at five in the morning to finish the rest. This continued every day during homecoming week, and along with the added stress of sports and homecoming events, took its toll on my health. My immune system must have become weak and I easily caught the bug that was going around. Sunday, I had a 102.5 fever and a horrible feeling in my chest that made it hard to breath, and didn't go back to school until Thrusday. I felt so sick, I didn't have the energy to work on any of the homework that kept piling up from the school I missed. Since I'm never really sick much, I don't really know teachers expectations on when homework should be turned in. Some teachers think you should know the homework and have gotten it done while you were sick, while others cut you a little slack. I didn't know what I should do, so I pulled an all-nighter again to finish all the homework I missed, plus homework I didn't finish over homecoming weekend... And I just got over being sick for that reason. I never would have thought that school could have a negative effect on a person's health, but it can. I've been trying to get assignments done ahead of time, but it's really difficult to do when involved with sports. I need to think of new work ethics that can help me make my high set goals and still get enough sleep... I miss the days when we had bedtimes...

1 comment:

Emily said...

Aww, that's too bad. Well if you want to come, me, Shilpa and some other people were going to have a study group for history later on.