Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Blood Drive

Yesterday I donated blood for the first time! I was so excited because I love first aid, nutrition, CPR/AED, etc. As I was leaving French, Madame told me that she couldn't donate because she passed out. Funny she should say that because it nearly happened to me.

I was fine until the very end. The pricks and pokes didn't bother me. Seeing my own blood while I sat in the chair didn't bother me, either. I felt calm and relaxed. My favorite song, "Mr. Brightside" by the Killers was even playing at the time. Discomfort didn't arrive until the nurse took the needle out of my arm. I felt like I had ran three miles then swam a whole (vigorous) workout! My face was sweating and my body temperature was really warm. I wanted to close my eyes but the nurse told me I had to keep them open (STRUGGLE). I got sick afterwards, so the nurse had to come down. I ended up going home at lunch.

The resonable reason I almost passed out was because I didn't eat or drink enough, even though I had a really high iron level in my blood. Next time I'm going to drink more fluids, for sure. The sick feeling was definitely worth saving 2-3 lives :)

No comments: