Friday, October 30, 2009

Pep Band Has No Pep

I've been in band for four years. Yes, I am a band geek but I've been okay with that until this year. We never play good songs. Sure they're "classical" and moving. But no one cares about that anymore. And the fact that pep band is a required outside of school activity this year is sucking the fun out of band. Pep band used to be voluntary and I also used to have fun with it. I would go to hang out with friends and occasionally play music. But now, this year, we have to play at four of the six home games. And to add to it, the Granite Oak Honor Band is joining us today against Woodcreek. We already don't have enough room for our two bands and now adding 40 more kids? That sounds exactly like something I want to do on my Friday night. I am just holding out for my brick at the end of the year. The hallway behind the theatre is made of cinder blocks painted white and every year after graduation, the four year VAPA students get their own bricks. They can decorate it however they choose. It's like a Rocklin High School VAPA Hall of Fame. Band's requirements are unreasonable and it is making all of the dedicated musician's think twice about their enrollment in the class. I'm just glad that it's my last year of high school band. Soon, I can play with people who actually care and just play for the fun of it. Because I want to play for fun. Not because it is required. If there are such heavy requirements this year, how will that contribute to getting more students to join band in the years to come?

No comments: