Monday, July 26, 2010

Summer School

So this summer I have been pretty busy, I have spent 19 days with first and second graders. I was getting all my community service hours done at Cobblestone Elementary School working with first and second graders that were in summer school. So all the kids at the Cobblestone summer school were ESL(English is a second language) and Special Ed. The class that I was assigned to were the first and second grade ESL kids. On the first day I knew it was going to be such a fun experience!

I love kids! Spending 4 weeks with 7 and 8 years olds trying to help them with their work and when they are not listening or paying attention it can really test your patience! All these kids were just so loving and just had so much thirst for attention! They just thought all the high schoolers that were helping along with me were so cool and they would mimic everything we did!:) I was extremely exhausted everyday but I was ready to wake up the next morning and see my little children:) They just taught me so much! I definitely have a lot more patience and learned that there is a way to be nice but not a complete pushover because little kids will take advantage of your kindness!:) I made many new friends some my age and some a lot younger. I also got to experience what its like to be a teacher but minus the really hard work. I will definitely do this again next year!

I have always had respect for teachers but I have gained 1,000 times more respect for them! Their job is not at all easy! Make sure to respect teachers you don't know what their job is like until you experience being one. To all those teachers out there, you are amazing!

3 comments:

Danielle said...

i loved volunteering at summer school too! :) which class were you in?

Rverma said...

I had ELD students 4-5 grade. Pretty fun but stressful, probably easier than 7-8 year olds though.

Elisabeth said...

I felt the same way about summer school! It was such an amazing experience and I loved it! I thought that I was going to hate getting up so early in the summer because I love to sleep in but I didn't care one bit because I was so excited to come see my little kids. :)