Thursday, July 15, 2010

Summer Fun

Summer is a time for new, fun experiences. This summer I have been trying to experience as many new activities as I possibly can. Summer is also a time for exciting water sports. Thus, I have had my first encounter with the thrill of kayaking! This past Friday I went with a group of friends to Lake Natoma, a part of Folsom Dam, to spend the day in the sun. We rented a couple of two-person kayaks to go out on the water. I soon learned that kayaking isn't as easy as it looks. It's important to be completely in sync with the person you're paddling with in order to go in the direction intended. For some reason, whenever I was kayaking with someone, we seemed to be going in a zig-zag motion instead of straight ahead.

It was a great workout for the arms and shoulders. I was definitely sore the next morning. It was great to enjoy the lake scenery and relax on a summer day. In addition to kayaking, we swam, chased geese, and skipped rocks on the lake. It was so peaceful to just float out on the kayak in the middle of the lake and take in the nature scene. Since I haven't had much experience with water sports before, I found that being out on the lake, paddling away and high-fiving fellow passerby, is something I can really get into. But let me tell you, after jumping out of the kayak, it is very difficult to get back in without capsizing it.

I'm glad to share about some of my summer activities with all of you. And if you're looking for something to do this summer, I highly recommend kayaking or just doing something you've never done before.


1 comment:

Alisha said...

Sounds like a fun time! I went kayacking when I was camping a few years ago and wasn't very good at it haha