Friday, July 9, 2010

Summer of Trends

I am loving the freedom to blog about whatever I would like so this time I decided to step away from my normal sports reporting and focus on another love of mine...fashion. After a recent trip to the mall, I decided that I am in LOVE with the new trends. Although 80's inspired designs were still present, I loved seeing items from another great fashion era. Free-spirited, bohemian pieces representing the late 1960's/early 1970's are now being shown in stores everywhere. Just in the first second of stepping into Macy's, my eyes caught hold of a mannequin modeling wide-legged jeans, a brightly colored Dashiki and a low slung beaded belt. What tells the fashion story of the 60's/70's better than that? Also, one of my Mom's high school favorites were present throughout many shoe stores...platform clogs. I think these shoes are such a fun trend for the fall and it doesn't hurt that they will help give some height to my 5'1 frame. Another favorite of mine is the crocheted vest. This piece can go with pretty much anything. Because it is so versatile, it can be dressed up with a cute ruffled, floral dress or ripped jeans and a t-shirt. It really is my favorite trend for late summer/early fall. Another favorite is the jean jacket, which is also as versatile and will be perfect once the weather starts to cool down.
The trend is so big that even the makeup lines and hairstyles are becoming a little more "groovy". No one shows this better in makeup than Urban Decay. They have a whole line called "Summer of Love" in which the products dawn the names of iconic places or things of the Summer of Love era. For instance, some names of their eye shadows include: Woodstock, Free Love, and Haight. Other than just having cool names, these products are also fun, psychedelic colors like shimmery teal, bright purple, even hot pink. This trend is shown in hair with side bangs going out and the return of the center part.
I think my favorite part of this trend is that it is so easy to make it affordable. With this horrible recession, it is the perfect trend because it is so easy to find these pieces at places other than expensive department stores. One place that I have found great items is Crossroads in Roseville. Crossroads is a store that "recycles" clothes, and it is so easy to find items that have a cool, eclectic bohemian vibe. Also, a few of these items are easy to make. At Nortstroms, my Mom and I found a crocheted sweater that I was completely in love with; then we looked at the price tag, which read something crazy like $40, and decided that there are better ways to have this item. I am lucky enough to have a mom who knows how to make the vest because of her own high school days, so we are currently planning on making one instead of buying it. All in all, I love the upcoming trends because they are affordable and so different than anything that we have seen in a while.

Whitney Port with a Center Part


Urban Decay's Summer of Love Line



Jane Asher: One of my Style Icons. Others Include: Leigh Taylor-Young in "I Love You, Alice B. Toklas", Whitney Port, and Evan Rachel Wood in "Across the Universe"

1 comment:

RHS Flash said...

Nice change of pace! Who knew. Nichols