Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Going Back to Preschool

I went into volunteering at summer school thinking I was going to be helping kids learn. Turns out I was the one who walked away learning something. I got matched up with helping a preschool class that was made up of six three year-olds. These kids are the most adorable, lovable, and opinionated kids that I have ever seen. They only want things done one way...theirs. While they might scream, run, drool, and constantly vie for your attention, you can't help but smile because they are just too darn cute.

Being with them for the past four weeks has made me realize how much I wish I was back in preschool. Sometimes I wish that I could randomly throw a temper tantrum whenever there is something I don't want to do. I wish I could go back to the days where a time-out, aka just sitting around and doing nothing, was considered a punishment. In high school, that would be a reward. I wish I could spend my days just playing without a care in the world. I wish I could have stories read to me and have recess and art time again. I would join right in with playing with shaving cream or having water day whenever I had the chance.

These kiddos have taught me a lot. First is that life is meant to be enjoyed and not to be spent being stressed and worried. The joy that these kids have just about life in general and how they can find hilarity in the smallest things makes me realize how my life could be so much better if I took the time to see the joy in everything. These kids just be themselves. There isn't any drama beyond someone stealing the toy they were playing with. Second is that time is flying by. I am going into my junior year and can't help but think to myself, "When did this happen?". I keep on having flashbacks to when I was in preschool and keep on feeling like it was just yesterday. And last I have learned that I really want to have a career that helps kids whether its being a teacher or not. Just from the 16 days I spent with them, my six little munchkins have changed me and will always have a place in my heart.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love little kids too. I saw a little boy the other day that was just fascinated with the fish tank that was in the dentist office, and I remembered how nice life was being that age.

Danielle said...

summer school was so fun! :)

Holly said...

Awww Elisabeth! I wish I could have done this with you, stupid tennis. Sometimes I see or hear something that reminds me of my childhood and I feel like crying because you can never go back. I just wish that I had appreciated those years more. :(

Brit said...

Working with those kids made me feel so accomplished. And you know that they were always having a good time, because they never wanted to leave! I wish I had known about it before this summer :(