Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Dear Jack

Last night, I went over to my friend, Stephanie's, house to hang out and we ended up watching this movie called "Dear Jack". "Dear Jack" is about the lead singer of band, Something Corporate, and creator of Jack's Mannequin, Andrew McMahon. At the age of 22 his musical career was taking off with Something Corporate. Andrew left Something Corporate, his girlfriend and family to embark on a new journey that led to the discovery of Jack's Mannequin. He finished his first CD titled, Everything in Transit, and started touring. A couple months later in May of 2005, he was feeling weak and ill. He went to a doctor in New York and found that the blood tests came back odd. The doctor said it could be anything from managable anemia to life threatening lukemia. And on June 1, 2005, he was officially diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. He chronicled his time in the hospital with a video camera, and that footage eventually led to the making of "Dear Jack". Andrew has now been cancer free for around 4 years and still creating music.
Watching this documentary really hit home with me. This past September I lost my grandfather to cancer. I know this is not the same situation as this movie but I am looking at this new year in a completely new light. Everything happens for a reason. Even in your darkest hour, find something to pull you through. Music literally saved Andrew's life and I can't wait to see that in person when I go to his show in February. I have found a new inspiration for this year and I cannot wait to see what the end of my senior year and college has to offer. Good luck to everyone in this new year and smile, life goes on.

1 comment:

RHS Flash said...

Way cool story...and inspiration. I admire your passion for music, and life. cn