Friday, December 12, 2008

OPS!

For those of you who don't know, Theatre 4 students are required to write, cast, direct and perform in their very own One Person Show. Sounds fun right? Well, the drafts are due the Friday before Winter break- a pretty early deadline for a show in April. Only the Seniors in the class are constantly aware of the time frame slipping from their fingers. As a student in the class myself, I am in the same situation. Writing a show might sound like fun and a welcome escape from Maths or Sciences, but the artistic hard work is even more frustrating. For theatre students like me, we have been thinking about our shows since freshman year. Watching the Seniors struggle and accomplish their goals. Now that it is our turn the amount of stress is unbearable- we have to live up to shows like Kit's, Ari's, Erin's, Scott's, Olivia's...all theatre kids of the past who will be always remembered on the campus. As I continue through my senior year I wonder if the hobby I've devoted so much of my time and energy to will have earned me the same sort of respect and awe from the generations to come. I don't feel like the underclassmen look up to us as much as we looked up to the classes before us. And it's probably not their fault. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like a failure in this department. The worried glances cast around the theater reassure me that the stress rests heavily on almost every one's shoulders in the class.
at least I finally have a solid idea for my OPS, which is more than I had a week ago. The draft is due next Friday. Wish me luck- I hope that my show is as exciting and well written as the seniors of the past. According to the theory of a certain English Literature Analyst (that my fellow AP English students would know of) I might need to have an even better show than the Seniors of the past in order to "kill my father" (or push past my predecessors) and secure my name to the list of worthy seniors.

1 comment:

michelle said...

I know how you feel. And I am not only comparing myself to those seniors before us, but also theatre students from other schools (you know what I'm talking about!!). I am worried that this idea that seems so funny and witty in my head will just fall flat on the page and on the stage. Here's to hoping it all works out!