Thursday, December 18, 2008

One foot out the door.

I look around me as I walk through the RHS campus, and I don't feel like I belong here anymore AT ALL. Not that I ever really did, but now all I see are children, all around me- children.
I can equate the feeling very closely with looking out at the playground in sixth grade, before I left elementary school. I had no desire to play on the monkey bars, and I have no desire to participate in anything here. I've simply outgrown RHS. I am already far away from it.
The rules here appall me, after living with my head in college... I hate high school. I don't know what people are talking about when they speak of their "glory" days in high school. I'm ready to live my life, live on my own, make my own way and be responsible for myself.
Whether that means being allowed to come to class naked, smoke on campus, use my cell phone, or choose my attendance habits.
These things are not necessarily what I like to do, but what I would like to be free to do if I pleased.
In other words, the conservative rules for children at RHS are for the students here who cannot take care of themselves. I am incredibly responsible, I take care of myself and my grades. All by my lonesome. Without tell-a-parent. My parents don't check, why on earth did they get my grade sign-in information? Aren't I the one attending this school? I'm a young woman, my grades effect me and my future. Me alone.
It is my responsibility to take care of my business. And I've been raised well enough to know how to do that. I'm done with the walker, I can walk- and run- on my own.
And this is NOT a classic case of senioritis. I still am very involved in my studies. I haven't become lazy at all, I've actually improved my GPA above a 4.0 this semester.
I am just not here. I don't like dances, football games, clubs, or lingering on campus any longer than is absolutely necessary. Yuck.
I am about to enter another universe, college. And thanks for nothing, RHS, when its come to letting me find my own way. Your constant observation and second chances have done nothing but cripple people who have depended on it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't hate anything, including high school, and I don't understand why you do. There are some lame rules that the school would be better off without and some "children" who need to grow up, but it's not going to happen.

I'm so frustrated with people who don't seem to appreciate everything that RHS does. So much work goes into clubs and sports. The teachers and the admin put in so much extra time then necessary just to help get students into a higher education.

This is one of my favorite places to be.

Megan said...

Wow...rant much? I liked when you said "I'm done with the walker". I too am ready to move on to bigger and better things, although I can't say I quite share the same intense hostility at the moment. I'm too excited for Christmas break to be that angry.

sugarmagnolia4 said...

You don't understand what I was trying to say. High school is a time for transition.
A very necessary transition, that many people embrace.
This was not a blog to bash RHS, but I'm almost 18 years old and feel 35.
I'm ready to move on.
If you're not, that is perfectly fine, and you are the type of person who keeps RHS kicking.
I have my fair share of RHS memories that are good, including inspirational teachers and the wonderful Mrs. Cutts.
But I'm done.
I'm tired of the whole scene.
That's all.

KryptoChicken said...

I hate everything. Is that bad?

KryptoChicken said...

Yeah. You go for it. I just like listening to people when they rant.