Thursday, December 4, 2008

Hi, Christmas Season.

So the frenzy has officially begun. I personally believe that it launches the day after Thanksgiving, on the notorious Black Friday. Others say it starts the week before, some the first week of December.
Either way, this is the month of holiday commercials, sales, shopping and movie releases.
And regardless of how unhealthy the blatant consumerism is for me and my psyche, I'm excited about what's behind it. I've always loved the spirit of this month, I think the constant submersion in all things Christmas lifts me up and gives me hope for the rest of the year. Christmas is rooted deep in tradition for me, as I come from two parents who hold fast to their separate European traditions-- one Sicilian, one German. And I love it.
Yet the magic of being a child on Christmas has never faded completely into the monotone of an adult Christmas for me. This isn't because I'm in denial, or that I still believe in Santa Claus. I just embrace the warmth and the light of the season. I soak it up.
But like many other families who celebrate this season, in light of difficult financial times, we are looking forward to a humble holiday this year. We're not alone, but it has forced me to once again examine what this holiday is truly about. Not from a religious standpoint, but merely from the angle of a good heart.
It's about giving, loving, family, friends, tradition and celebrating differences.
Although that sounds idealistic, its true.
And living on the Christmas light street guarantees I can never forget that.
Especially because of the disco light on my roof, right outside my window. It's a healthy reminder that its the holiday season.
I'm ecstatic to greet the month of December.
Alright, now to face the next two weeks...

1 comment:

michelle said...

I can honestly say that your street during the holiday season has an overwhelming amount of happiness. It is the pinnacle of the season and I love it so much.