Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Unnecessary Risks: Our World, Not Theirs

For most who keep up with the news, they will already have heard about the brand new science experiment at the French/Swiss border.
A brand new massive particle collider that will test scientists' theories about the "big bang" by "firing two different beams of protons in a 17-mile underground ring"(yahoo.com).
A noble cause, I am sure... for knowledge's sake. I thought "oh, how interesting. Trying to understand the makeup of the universe."
I myself have always thought that science should only go so far, that part of the beautiful mystery of living was not knowing everything. Being able to look out at the night sky and not know all the different chemical formulas and makeups of stars. Part of our condition as human beings, I have learned, is being able to wonder. I personally believe that wondering is a beautiful thing, and I don't like when people attempt to take that right away from me. Walt Whitman makes a perfect example of my feelings on this subject, controversial as they are to ordinary curious people and educators alike.
"When I heard the learn'd astronomer;
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me;
When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them;
When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;
Till rising and gliding out, I wander'd off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look'd up in perfect silence at the stars."
So maybe my attitude wasn't the best prepared to swallow such an idea as this atom collider whole. However, I would have respected it, as it came from people of knowledge; if they hadn't endangered my existence.
I learned about the skepticisms of this experiment. What it might do. And these worries made a profound effect on me, as I love living.
According to several different sources, such a fragile experiment such as this could possibly destroy the world as we know it. Many people speculated that it could create post-apocalypse conditions.
Would they be this careless?
How could we let them?
Before furthering such a controversial experiment, I firmly believe that they should have got the majority vote of humanity. Sure, I know this is impossible, but as far as I know, this planet doesn't solely belong to those scientists that are perpetually curious about everything.
Even though the theory was only speculation, not proof, just the doubt should have caused such as stir that the research should have extended twice as far.
They just went ahead and did it.
Do I have the right to be angry?
Absolutely. I live here.
Think about it next time, you'll be pissed too.

No comments: